SearchNotify Me
Sign up for notification alerts
via email or cell with Twitter or Nixle

Home Twitter Follow Nixle

Office Location: City Hall
Phone:  417-256-7176
Office Hours:  8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday - Friday

Business License Applications

Business License / Permits
   Mallory Prewett

For licenses or permits, liquor licenses or questions about liquor sales ordinances, contact Mallory Prewett.



Business licenses are required for anyone selling a product or service inside the City of West Plains. This includes all contractors, lawn care providers, window washers, etc. We have attempted to make the license procedure as simple and inexpensive as possible for businesses. Applications are available here. If you have any other questions or would like to have an application packet sent to you, please call Mallory Prewett at (417) 256-7176, or e-mail the City Hall Administrative Assistant Anita Snethern at  reception@westplains.net.

$30 per year July 1 through June 30
$15 per year for businesses starting after December 31 (expires June 30)
$10 per month penalty for license renewals after July 31

Most businesses should be located in a commercial zone.  Exceptions are those which qualify as home businesses or on-site businesses such as a contractor.  If you think you might qualify as a home business, please fill out the home occupations questionnaire.

Exceptions: State law exempts the following businesses from the city license requirement: Physicians, surgeons, lawyers, architects, professional engineers, land surveyors, certified public accountants, dentists, chiropractors, veterinarians, farmers selling their own produce, ministers, priests and professors.

In addition, the following are exempt unless they maintain an office in the city: Insurance agents, auctioneers, real estate brokers or salesmen. Taxi cabs, liquor businesses and yard sales and are licensed separately.

Building, electrical, plumbing and HVAC technicians must be certified to provide their services within the City. Tests are given to measure familiarity with building codes. Those passing the test will receive certification and may then obtain a business license. For more information or to take the test, contact the Building Official.

Requirements for a business license:
• Copy of your sales tax certificate from the state (if you sell merchandise)
• Worker's compensation insurance, or notarized Exemption form (for construction companies only)
• License fee
• Health inspection certificate for businesses selling prepared food
• Certification from the Building Official (if required).